At Giva we search for organisations, large and small, that are doing a great job of changing the world around them for the better; and we are pleased to salute them here!
Fitted for Work is an Australian not for profit organisation that helps women experiencing disadvantage to improve their job opportunities. The organisation provides a wide variety of free services, including interview training, a 12 month Staying Employed Program for recently employed women, and a personal outfitting service that connects clients to appropriate work attire. From recent immigrants to university graduates to those exiting prison, Fitted at Work offers a hand to women from all different backgrounds.
Over the past ten years, the organisation has assisted more than 20,000 women. According to Fitted for Work's Annual Report 2014-2015, approximately 50 percent of clients find jobs within three months of using the organisation's services. What has helped the organisation and its clients become so successful? Volunteer work and donations play an important role. In the 2014-2015 year, the not for profit tracked 8,435 volunteer hours and received over 1 million dollars worth of clothing donations.
One of the best things about Fitted for Work is how many different ways people can get involved with the organisation. Here are some examples:
- Volunteer as a stylist, salesperson, event coordinator, or boutique volunteer at the Sydney and Melbourne locations
- Donate money online. As Fitted for Work provides all of its services to clients for free, donations make a huge difference. For example, $75 will sponsor a client's interview coaching workshop and $550 enables a client to join a mentoring program
- Donate your gently used work clothing and personal care items at the Sydney and Melbourne locations
- Become a mentor in the Transition to Work Program or the Staying Employed Program. This could be a particularly good option for corporate workers who have ample experience and job skills to share
- Shop at Dear Gladys, Fitted for Work's online fashion boutique, which raises funds for the organisation
Fitted for Work makes it easy to get involved and help change a woman's life for the better. This factor surely plays an important role in the organisation's success.
Giva congratulates Fitted for Work on its many accomplishments. The successes of its clients, volunteers, programs, and services are very impressive and will help change the world!